Friday, August 24, 2007

CUSTOMER SERVICE

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I’ve been working on my son’s new-to-you house. I closed off one doorway and opened another. And that’s not all. We’ve painted, plumbed a gas line for the stove, run new electrical and laid laminate floors. August has been so busy I haven’t had time to complain about summer heat.

Today was one of those “last straw” days. The young marrieds went and bought themselves new appliances to replace the decrepit John Denver-Harvest Gold ones. They purchased FIVE MAJOR APPLAINCES from a huge national chain. I don’t want to mention any names but their computer nerds dress like Mormon missionaries.

The upshot? Every last appliance has been an adventure in waiting.

1. The washing machine couldn’t be hooked up because the faucets leaked.

2. The ice-maker couldn’t be hooked up because they had no water-line kit.

3. The dishwasher wouldn’t drain properly because the pipe was clogged.

4. The old stove had been hard-wired to the outlet and goodness-gracious-me the installers can’t be expected to rewire it themselves.

Are major appliance outlets and installers aware that in the real world fixes of these types are the norm? Why are they not equipped with simple and inexpensive parts? Do they make money by coming back over and over? Apparently they don’t have any more expertise than I do. I can take them out of the box, plug them in and shove them into place. What are we paying them for anyway, manual labor?

Today, as I said, was the last straw. The installers removed the brand-new microwave from its over-engineered factory cocoon. The microwave was dented top and side. My son immediately got on the phone to the major outlet. They said: “Certainly sir, our customer service manager himself will be right over with a replacement. After all, you’ve bought FIVE MAJOR APPLAINCES from us and we wouldn’t want to lose your business.” …No, wait. That’s what they said in the alternate reality. In this universe they told my son to bring it in for an exchange.

Quality's not just a word, it's a slogan!

No comments: