Friday, June 20, 2008

GAY "MARRIAGE"

I'm a slow processor. I find that I often have strong gut reactions to things, then moderate my stand upon further reflection. Gay "Marriage" is one of those things.

I'm agin it. But I think Christians especially are taking the wrong track. Many preachers are leading the charge to protect the State of California from Gay ""Marriage." I understand their concern about changing--eroding--social conditions but I thing they are missing the point. I am commissioned to guide and protect the Bride of Christ--the Church, not the state. They are not one in the same, though many Christians seem to miss this fine distinction.

What it is, is fear and even anger over the loss of what many see as a Christian cultural heritage. Yes, I see that too. But the fact is, America is not a theocracy. It is a secular state. The individual is eternal, The Church reigns with Christ in eternity, but the state is temporal and always decaying. We are supposed to be serving Christ as we pass through this vale of tears, not wasting our time fabricating a makeshift Heaven on earth.

So next fall, as a citizen of the State of California, I will exercise my free speech rights by voting for the protection of marriage amendment to the state constitution. But as a Christian and a pastor I will NOT demean Christ by beating up homosexuals and acting like a self-righteous Pharisee.

No comments: