Thursday, June 1, 2017

THE PARABLE OF THE MINESHAFT

 Hearken unto the parable of the Mine shaft. A man once toured a western ghost town. As he walked the streets littered with boards and debris the ground beneath him suddenly gave way. He found himself tumbling down an abandoned mine shaft. In fear he cried out to the Lord; "God, if you spare me I'll serve you all the rest of my life."

He thudded into the bottom with a dusty WHUMP. Dazed, he sat up and realized that not only was he alive, not a single bone was broken. He climbed back to the surface.

In undying gratitude he spent the rest of his life shoving people down that mine shaft.

NOTE: For the humor impaired, this was a joke.

A Parable has a single, simple point. Here it is; God doesn't work the same way with everybody. Simply because God did an amazing work in your life does not make that normative for everyone.

As you interact with others you will discover that you must find ways to relate to them. Paul is our example. 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV "19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it."

Are you looking to see people discover the reality of Jesus Christ in their lives, or just looking to add another notch in your Bible?

1 comment:

Tim Riter said...

Good to see posts on this again, and I love the Mark Twain allusion.