Friday, December 7, 2012

MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I'm getting ready to live in Los Angeles for a while. While undergoing radiation treatment for cancer I'll be staying in the Kaiser apartments. They aren't bad; clean, recently refurbished, and only a half mile from the treatment center. I can get my exercise everyday just by walking. I'm thankful to Kaiser for providing such a thoughtful benefit for their patients. It will make the process much less tiresome.



On the other hand, I am going to live in LA for a while; for weeks. I'll come home on weekends so I can be with family. I will still be able to preach Sundays. And I'll experience a new cultural perspective. Yay.

The end is in sight. I'm grateful for the convenience, but I'm a bit ambivalent about being away from Karen so much. I know people who've had to do this for their jobs, not to mention military families, but after 38 years of marriage this is something new for us.

...The depth of my ambivalence is seen in the fact that I can't seem to come up with a zinger of a closing line.



4 comments:

Eric said...

With Hostess out of business Zingers are pretty scarce.

Carol Anne Wright Swett said...

Oh, Don and Karen. I pray for you as you enter this new phase. I'm one of those 'work wives' who has spent maybe 1/3 of our marriage apart bcz of the spouse's work. My husband was 5 hrs away when I broke my leg in 3 places. I was used to making do, so we did. But, I know how rough it is on spouses who have never had to live apart in good times. I can't imagine rough times. I pray that you both will navigate this time with grace, comfort and courage. Praying for you more than you know!

Don the Baptist said...

Thanks, CA.

Everything Changes said...

Bless you in this time. May it be a time of new inspiration!