Thursday, July 26, 2007

WHAT’S THIS HADLEYVILLE THING?

Those of you familiar with Mark Twain’s works might recognize my blog title. As Samuel Clemmons grew older, he became increasingly disillusioned with humanity. Towards the end he began referring to the Damned Human Race; employing the secular and religious meaning at one stroke.

I find I’ve not reached that level of despair myself. I still believe in redemption and I still see signs of nobility even among we fallen, damned creatures. So, I could not bring myself to call this blog “On the Damned Human Race.” I did however, resonate with another of Clemmons stories; “The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyville.” And viola, there you have it. “Observations From Hadleyville.”


Okay, okay! Technically it's "The Man THAT Corrupted HadleyBURG." The good news is I'm not guilty of plagiarism, just laziness.

4 comments:

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

Hadleyville or Hadlyville? It seems like the Twain story has the "e". Either way I look forward to seeing what you have to write.

I haven't exactly make a stunning contribution to society on my blog (http://rellimcire.blogspot.com/). I have written a bit more on my myspace blog (http://blog.myspace.com/rellimcire)

Eric said...

Sorry to be so anal, but after searching a bit it seems the correct title is "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg." I still like the idea and you've inspired me to read the story.

Don the Baptist said...

ville, burg, geeze! Too late to change the html now.