Thursday, April 17, 2008

JUST CALL ME "ROCKY"


Did a great hike today. I drove to the where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses Bouquet Canyon. We hiked the trail going North last year. Today I went South. It was quite a bit steeper than the other side of the road. The Forest Service sign said 3.2 miles to the fire road at the crest. I made that in 1 1/2 hours. Again, quite steep. I watched the ridgeline to the North get smaller as I climbed. Leona Valley is on the other side of that ridge.

As I reached the crest I was able to see the Western Antelope Valley open up beyond the Leona Valley Ridge. I also saw Palmdale to the East. What a surprise, a few more steps and the entire valley to the South opened up. I could see Acton, Agua Dulce, Vasquez Rocks and Santa Clarita all the way to the 14-5 interchange. WHAT A VIEW. I jumped up and down doing the "Rocky Balboa" dance...No I didn't, but I should have.

Coming back down I made the 3.2 miles in 53 minutes. Not sure, but I think thats FASTER than three miles per hour.

I'm gonna do THIS hike again.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Nice hike -- way to go!

Yes, going down you were faster than 3mph. 3.2 miles in an hour would be faster, i.e. 3.2mph. 3.2 miles in 53 min is 3.6mph. Very good. Up at 2+mph isn't so bad either. Good for you.

Cousin Ronny said...

Cousin Ronny Said . . . This is good, but when exactly (dates) are you climbing Half Dome?

Don the Baptist said...

We plan to hit Yosemite right after the Fourth of July: less people then.