Tuesday, November 4, 2008

MY PARTY LOST, AMERICA WINS

I voted for John McCain today and he lost. I have to say I'm dissappointed. And yet, its a historic day for America. Barack Obama is this country's first black president. Just forty-five years after Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech on the Mall in Washington DC, that dream is seeing true fulfillment. To that I say amen. The people of my generation can stop bemoaning American racism. It no longer exists in any meaningful way. This election has nailed that coffin shut.

John McCain's concession speech was nothing but class and a fitting valediction for the man. I wish President Elect Obama a great presidency. I pray for his safety. Most of all I wish for an end to the tit-for-tat, You-dissed-my-guy-so-I'll-diss-yours-politics of the past sixteen years. Can we get on with our normal lives again?

7 comments:

Eric said...

Thanks, Don. I hope everyone can be this level headed.

Kathleen Flynn said...

I agree.

Anonymous said...

Being a foreigner in a foreign country, I can't say "My party lost." I have observed though, that for all the claims that the Republican party in some way represents Christians better than the Democratic party, very few conservative Christians say that they will supplicate for, pray for, intercede for, and give thanks for their new president (so that they may lead quiet and peaceable lives, godly in every way!) (1 Tim 2:1-6). Instead they whine and complain. You reap what you sow.

Don the Baptist said...

"You?" Who are you talking to, bread maker?

Don the Baptist said...

Let me clarify my position. The Republican PLATFORM corresponds to my values CLOSER than the Democrats or other parties. I actually have some Libertarian leanings but I can't stomach their stand-for-nothing position. However, no party is the CHRISTIAN party, as far as I'm concerned.

My position is this: Men are fallen creatures. We should give them as little power over other peoples lives as possible.

Every election comes down to this; when you stand in the booth and make your choice it is ALWAYS between the lesser of two evils.

B said...

Good read, Don. I have one comment. BHO is not black. He IS of mixed ethnicity, having a Black father, AND a white mother. At one time, this mixture was referred to as Mulatto, but I'm sure it's not politically correct today.

Also, to explain myself, I defer to the idea that there is only one race, the human race, as created by God, but many ethnicities within the human race, as shown at the tower of Babel.

Don the Baptist said...

Good point, B.