Tuesday, March 25, 2008

PRIDE GOETH BEFORE A WATCH

I was slightly guilty of gloating to my hiking buddy the other day. I told him I had walked half a mile in seven minutes. Mathematician that he is, he remarked, "that's a fourteen minute mile!"

So today I went for my regular five mile hike up Godde Hill. (2.5 UP--2.5 DOWN) Today I wore a real watch with minute gradation markings, instead of my classy one with only 3, 6, 9 & 12 on the face.

Ouch. No fourteen minute miles here. I did walk eighteen and twenty-two minute miles going uphill. I managed two sixteen minute miles downhill. That's still better than my usual, humdrum twenty minute (3MPH) miles on flat ground, but not a superhuman (otherwise known as a normal guy) fourteen minute (4MPH).

Sorry Eric, the record is now straight.

2 comments:

Eric said...

That's OK. I often get the math wrong when I'm walking or biking. 20-minute miles uphill are pretty good. The main thing is that you're walking and improving.

Oh, and 15-minute (not 14-minute) miles are 4mph (4 * 15min = 60min = 1hr). Most people cannot walk 15-minute miles without practice, let alone 14-minute miles.

Don the Baptist said...

WHEW!