Saturday, March 3, 2012

WISDOM FROM DAD

"Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
   and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. "

                                 Proverbs 1:8


The book of proverbs is not a book of guarantees. These pithy sayings are not promises from God that nothing in your life will ever go wrong if you follow them. Many people have trained up their children in the way they should go and never saw them follow the Lord in later life.


No, Proverbs are simply wisdom about the way life works in general. There is no real difference between the spiritual sounding lines found the ancient book of Proverbs and slightly more modern wisdom such as, "a stitch in time saves nine." The ancient Near Eastern world loved proverbs. There was a whole wisdom movement found in the writings of Egyptians, Babylonians and most literate societies of the day.

I'm not disparaging the godly wisdom of Proverbs, I am dispelling the notion that these are "magic words" to summon the power of God.

When I think about learning wisdom from my dad the progression went something like this... 
* When I was 5 my dad was the smartest man in the world
         * When I was 16 I thought my dad was an overbearing Tyrant 
         * At 17 I thought he knew nothing about life
         * At 21 I began going to him for advice
         * Now I just quote him all the time without giving him credit

When you honor your parents they--in turn--are blessed to have such a wise child.

1 comment:

HI-CALIBER Private Investigations said...

Great to see you have a blog too brother. Amen