Tuesday, August 7, 2007

WARNING: BLOOD DEPRESSURIZATION IN PROGRESS!

I heard a public service announcement on the radio today. It told me I could save 100 gallons of water a week by turning off the tap while shaving.

That’s right.

Just how many times a day does the government think I’m shaving? Now, I admit I’m a mathematically challenged guy. I had to use a calculator to divide 100 by 7 ( I DID manage to estimate 7X10=70). Apparently, I’d have to use 14.28571428571142857114285711428571 gallons per day while shaving to use 100 in a week.

Humm… No, I’m not buying it. Maybe the government thinks I shave 14 times a day. Then I’d only be wasting a little over a gallon at a time (NO Eric, I will NOT cipher that number out).

But I figure the government simply thinks I’m stupid. I'm not expected to do the math. I’m supposed to experience warm fuzzy feelings over the empowering thought of saving water and the planet, too. Don't know how they arrived at 100 gallons. I suppose they did a focus group and found that asking people to save less than 100 gallons a week would not inspire enough desire to experience warm fuzzies.

But, after all, the point is moot. I shave in the shower.

4 comments:

Eric said...

OK, I hate to be all green and anal but the government might not be so far off on this one.

I looked for faucet flow rates. I found numbers here (http://www.sahra.arizona.edu/programs/water_cons/home/bathroom_sink.htm). According to this a non-conserving faucet lets water flow at 2.75 to 5.0gpm (gallons per minute). That means that shaving for three minutes with the water running would send 8.25 to 15.0 gallons down the drain. 15 * 7 = 105 gallons per week.

Using the shower could be argued as worse. A shower can flow at 5 to 8gpm (according to another page on the same website http://www.sahra.arizona.edu/programs/water_cons/home/bathroom_shower.htm). That would make your three minute shave use 15 to 24 gallons.

That said, I'll admit that I also shave in the shower. I figure I'd probably veg in there to enjoy the hot water anyway -- at least that's my excuse.

Don the Baptist said...

Technically, I'm sure the faucet is capable of running at that flow rate. Do you ever run it that high? I'm don't enjoy splashing my bare tummy of fresh clothes. I usually run it at a trickle.

Don the Baptist said...

AND by the way, I'm crushed that you did not comment on my impressive math skills.

Unknown said...

I have just a few comments:
One. Eric has too much time on his hands. :)
Two. Robin wastes virtually no water shaving.
Three. I could quit shaving in the shower or elsewhere, but I think you'd receive complaints.