Wednesday, August 1, 2007

YOSEMITE AND/OR BUST



Two weeks ago I went to Yosemite with four friends from my church: Dan, Eric, Rex and RP. Our goal: Climb Half Dome. 8,836 feet up in the stratosphere; some 4,000 feet above Yosemite Valley floor. We arrived in Yosemite on Wednesday, July 11th. We camped above the Valley at Bridal Veil Creek campground; a first for me. That day we made a short practice hike to sentinel dome. We wanted to start getting used to the altitude. The next day we did another practice hike to Taft Point, a long jagged way above the south side of the Valley.

On Friday morning we awoke at 4am, shoveled down a cold breakfast and drove to the trailhead at Glacier Point. From here we descended to the Illilouet Falls then up and over a substantial chunk of granite to arrive at Nevada falls, the four mile point. From there we hiked through Little Yosemite Valley on the backside of Half Dome to the trail head; five miles. Then up the switchbacks—I think 2,800 feet or so—to the Half Dome cutoff; nine miles. Only two miles to go. I pooped out around the ten-mile marker. It was already after noon and we still had another mile to go. Once the summit was reached we would have to turn around and to go back down.

I rested for two hours, waiting for the guys to come back. Rex arrived first. By that time I felt as if I could go on to the top, but it would have cost us another two plus hours on the trail. I didn’t want to make the guys that much later, so I hoofed it back down toward Little Yosemite (and WATER, my two liters was running low) The rest of the troop caught up just as Dan and I reached Little Yosemite. We refilled our water using a filter and the Merced river, then headed off on the last five miles.

It was now after six pm and we knew we’d be finishing in the dark. Good thing we had anticipated this, we all had flashlights. The last mile is the longest mile I’ve ever walked in my life. We had intended to have a hearty dinner in Yosemite Valley before heading back to camp and bed. But it was closing in on 10pm and our only option was the grocery store. We bought cold packaged sandwiches, chips and drinks and ate our dinner outside as the store closed and all the lights went off. Got back to camp around 11pm. Eric, Rex and RP then drove Rex’s car to Glacier point to pick up RP’s car. I’m told they got back at midnight, but you can’t prove it by me. I was busy pounding my ear by then.

I am disappointed I did not complete the hike. I’ve wanted to climb Half Dome for twenty years. The trip was my idea and I suppose I could feel guilty, or weak or stupid if I wanted to. Actually, I’m quite pleased that a fifty-three year old, overweight diabetic hiked 17 miles that day: most of it considerably above five thousand feet.

There’s always next year…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you, Don! I am really impressed with what you were able to accomplish. Hope you're game for next year!

Stephanie P. said...

Dad, you're an inspiration to me...I couldn't be more proud of you. You made it further than I ever could have.