Thursday, November 15, 2007

TRAVELIN' MAN

I'm back. Taa Daaaaa! Spent the week in Sacramento, California. I went to our Annual denominational business meeting. That last sentence was carefully crafted. Had I said I went to the annual California Southern Baptist Convention those of you from the North East and the Left Coast might have immediately jumped to some erroneous conclusions. To wit: "Ah! don the baptist is a stupid racist AND he wears funny hats while riding go-carts."

I won't deny the go-cart accusation. I also wear hats a lot, though never a fez. However, You might be interested to know that the CONVENTION was hosted by the Russian Baptist Church of Sacramento. The pastor is a Russian emegre who speaks very little English. The congregation is Nostrovia to the max.

As for the racist bit, half of the state officers we elected for the following year were non-WASPS. Our state executive director is Latino. In fact, on any given Sunday you could choose from over sixty different language and /or ethnic congregations to worship with, all aligned (cooperating, we like to say) with California Southern Baptists.

I'm kind of proud of that; though not in a fleshly, sinful way. I notice some denominations make a big deal about being inclusive and accepting. When they are honest with me, their pastors admit they have no such diversity. Not that its about diversity, its about recognizing that in Christ there is no Jew or Greek, no male or female, no black or white. We are all one in Christ.

Not to say we're perfect, the guy next to me wore an ugly suit after all.

As for stupidity? I'm so bright, my mother calls me son.

1 comment:

Stephanie P. said...

and the ugly suit is all that matters, father....