Tuesday, February 12, 2008

2008 CHURCH FELLOWSHIP AND DEATH MARCH

Last July I hiked Yosemite with four other guys from my church. We're planning to do it again this coming July. This year we've opened it to men, women and --GASP--teens. (actually, I'm counting on the teens to carry my backpack most of the way.)

To get in the mood--and hopefully in shape--I've begun doing some serious walking. Not that sissy, climate-controlled gym treadmill stuff, either. I'm talking about WALKING. From my front door I can climb a thousand feet in three and a half miles; seven total. I've managed that once, so far. However, in the past two weeks I've tramped a respectable 47.5 miles.

So far my diabetic body has been resisting my efforts. My fasting blood sugar is averaging a horrid 170 (as opposed to a hideous 200+) Today though as I climbed to the hill's 3/4 mark (five miles, total) I felt better. I felt like I was attacking the climb rather than merely enduring it. Perhaps I've crossed some sort of threshold. Hope so.

Stand by for further motivating self-congratulations...

1 comment:

Eric said...

47.5 miles! Wow! Way to go!!