Tuesday, February 5, 2008

IN THE COMPANY OF HEROES

I made the list. I have acquired Folk Hero status; got a song to prove it.

Last week I sat in court with a man from my congregation. I do this more than you might think. And for my fellow cynics out there I state for the record that most of these cases are civil actions.

Anyway, last Sunday--Super Bowel Sunday, mind you--the guy shows up at church with a song he's written in my honor, extolling my virtues as a pastor. He sang his panegyric to me for the whole assembly. Needless to say, I'm truly moved to be in company with Babe the Blue Ox, Robin Hood and Billy the Kid, to name but a few.

Henceforth you may refer to me as Don the Baptist.

I know I will.

2 comments:

Kathleen Flynn said...

Can you hum the first bar?

Don the Baptist said...

Donnnn! the man they call Donnnn!

He robbed from the rich and he gave to the poor

Stood up to the man and he gave him what for

Our love for him now ain't hard to explain

The hero of Quartz Hill the man they call Don!

...No, wait, that's from FIREFLY; "the man they call Jane."